Tire pulling is hot right now!
It may not be as popular yet as many of the dance crazes you may be familiar with – YMCA, The Twist, Macarena, The Electric Slide, or how about the Texas Two-Step, but in our itty bitty yellow polka dotted micro-world of ultra running, well, there is definite traction.
Have you seen all the social media selfies with that rope and old tire in the background?
After a 3-day 118 mile training weekend that included pulling two tires for 24 miles and pulling one tire for 30 miles, I was able to chat with Texan, John Sharp of Sharp Coaching, who has embraced the Tire Drag as part of his ultra training for some huge adventures this year.
Enjoy our chat that includes the following musings and other useful goodies for you:
- John’s dandy adventures coming this year
- memories from 3 days and 118 miles of running and tire draggin’
- the I-wish-I-was-a-fly-in-the-vehicle conversation John had with a child in a passing vehicle while pulling a tire
- the story how John got started including ultra legends Lisa Smith-Batchen and Marshall Ulrich
- the gear – finding that tire. Hint – you can’t go to your local Discount Tires
- the sensations of the tire drag
- getting started and technique ideas
- benefits observed
- John also includes some huge safety tips to help you stay alive – important!