EB33: A Chat with Aaron Ochoa – 2014 Oklahoma Dirt Trail Series Men’s Champ – How a Declined Insurance Policy Led to the Love of Running
Aaron Ochoa of Oklahoma won the men’s division of the inaugural 2014 Oklahoma Dirt Trail Series (FB Page) which consisted of 11 races around north east Oklahoma.
Throughout life we all arrive at various fork-in-the-road moments where one decision will lead you down path X and a different decision will lead you down path Y. In 2008, Aaron had one of those moments after having a life insurance policy declined. Seeing a doctor and being told his cholesterol was too high, the doctor offered a pill. Aaron instead chose the active life, started running, and lost 60 pounds.
Enjoy my chat with Aaron that includes the following musings and useful goodies for you:
- how a declined life insurance policy kicked off his love of running
- memories from his first trail race at Turkey and TATURs plus lesson learned
- favorite local trails
- training or racing?
- favorite running book
- Aaron shares a great tip for a trail newbie
- Oklahoma trail series memories including the race that provided the most lessons
- top lesson learned after another year of running