EB45: From Golfer to Ultrarunner – White Rock Classic 50k and the Western States 100 Moment – A Chat with David Newman
“…I am not out there looking at splits…just out there enjoying nature and running…and having fun with people. That is what it is all about.” – David Newman
David Newman of Arkansas was a 20 year golfer that had to change his active life fix due to painful back issues. While driving, he observed someone running and said, “I can do that!”
So began David’s tread journey including the roads, trails, ultra running, and the upcoming Western States 100.
I had the honor to chat with David after recently completing the White Rock Classic 50k in 6:21, which took place up near Cass, Arkansas. Enjoy our chat that includes the following musings and useful goodies for you:
- David’s transition from golfer to ultra runner
- that tough first road marathon
- “10 yards at a time, looking for air” – the trails at Hobbs State Park and that first 50k adventure
- why trails?
- training and prep for Western States 100
- the golden ticket moment
- favorite and inspiring reads
- memories from the White Rock Classic 50k