EB67: Managing Depression and Reawakening your Soul with the Running Pill – DanMan Challenge – Our Chat with Nikki Davis
“Why don’t you go for a run!?!”
This absurd thought passed through Nikki Davis’s head while drinking another cup of coffee and smoking a cigarette.
Athletic – never.
After returning home from the 30 minute walk/run, Nikki surprisingly felt empowered, she “felt good”. This became a small win that created a significant positive ripple through the rest of her life that included periods of darkness and depression.
The courage to start, to go out the door and run when all the internal mind chatter told Nikki to stop, running would become the self-prescribed pill that would transform her life.
Enjoy our chat that includes the following musings and other useful goodies for you:
- the detailed story of that unexpected first run through a nearby neighborhood
- how running quickly became a way to manage depression and dark times
- the sprint finish with a 90 year old man at Nikki’s first 5k
- a marathon moment that only a fellow runner can understand
- the 30k adventure-filled story of that first trail run in Texas Hill Country…in the dark
- how trail running can become a meditative practice
- the “broken rib” at Jemez 50k
- Nikki’s weekly training layout
- 3 of Nikki’s top trail running lessons since that first run in the dirt
- the DanMan Challenge experience
Simply press the Play button to stream below.
To Download to Computer: Download MP3 (right click “save as”)
Also, if you enjoyed the podcast in any way, we would love and be most grateful for a brief rating and review over on iTunes. Thanks so much!
Resources and Goodies Mentioned
- DanMan Challenge
- Dallas Marathon
- Capt’n Karl Trail Series
- Jemez Trail Run
- Bandera Trail Run
- Cactus Rose Trail Run
- Whispering Pines
Thank you so much for being a part of the EB tribe. If you enjoyed the podcast and feel others you know may be interested as well, feel free to share with the social media buttons below. We really appreciate you.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
Posted on 10 Aug 2015