EB65: Super Nerd to Ultra Athlete, How Running Can Adapt and Support Your Life Today, Benefits of Volunteering at a Race when Injured, Confessions of a Cookie-aholic – Possum Kingdom Trail Run – Our Chat with Lesley Jones
To support a race with a beneficiary close to Lesley Jones and her family’s heart brought her back to the sport of running after a 10 year break. The half marathon at the Dallas White Rock Marathon provided some tough-love lessons on training, nutrition, hydration, and one from her supportive father at mile 10 when her legs felt like bricks.
“Anybody can run three miles!”
It was a one foot in front of the other journey to the finish…and she did.
While the discomfort was real, so was this amazing feeling of accomplishment.
Over the next months and years, running became not only an activity Lesley deeply enjoyed, but a lifestyle that has adapted with her journey as a mother and eventually a trail runner.
While trail running didn’t come easy and “was not love at first sight”, it would become a place of peace, challenge, and deep friendships.
After taking some time off to heal from an injury last Fall, Lesley returned to the ultra distances and finished the 52M scamper at the Possum Kingdom Trail Run in north Texas in 13:54:52.
Enjoy our chat that includes the following musings and other useful goodies for you:
- Lesley’s return to running after a 10 year break and the funny memories from that half marathon
- how running can adapt and be an activity to support your currently place in life
- memories from that awkward first trail run
- the biggest surprises and lessons learned running her first trail race at the Rocky 50
- Lesley’s basic training week
- the fun and benefits of volunteering when injured
- the joy of helping other through coaching
- the book
- confessions from a Cookie-aholic
- seeing arrow signs in the clouds – the 52M adventure at the Possum Kingdom Trail Run
Simply press the Play button to stream below.
To Download to Computer: Download MP3 (right click “save as”)
Also, if you enjoyed the podcast in any way, we would love and be most grateful for a brief rating and review over on iTunes. Thanks so much!
Resources and Goodies Mentioned
- Erwin Park (DFW)
- The Long Run (affiliate link)
Connect with Lesley
- Racing It Off – Lesley’s coaching site
Thank you so much for being a part of the EB tribe. If you enjoyed the podcast and feel others you know may be interested as well, feel free to share with the social media buttons below. We really appreciate you.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
Posted on 22 Jul 2015