Soccer flowed through Jess Chaffee’s blood.
After college, she quickly transitioned to a sport that had many of the same special components the made soccer such a joy – the preparation, the challenge, the competition, and a surprise – the community.
Instead of cleats, Jess laced up some running tread and began preparing for her first 5 km.
After a great 5 km experience, the feeling of team, of community, further boosted her new-found joy in the simple act of running.
” It was almost like being on a team again…surrounded by a group of people trying to achieve a common goal.”
A move to Austin, Texas led to Jess’s first exploration on the trails and a last minute sign-up for her first trail race running with the crazies at the Bandera 25k in south central Texas on a course known to create a few memories and sotol scars.
“After that I was hooked.”
Having fun on both the roads and trails, this Spring Jess enjoyed a trail adventure at The Maze 30k and was first to cross the finish in the women’s race.
Enjoy our chat that includes the following musings and other useful goodies for you:
- finding that competitive outlet in running after a life of soccer
- the joy running brings to Jess’s life
- memories from that first trail race at Bandera 25k
- enjoying the differences between the road and trails
- favorite local trails
- running the Houston marathon
- training 5 days per week, what does it look like?
- how consistent Yoga has helped her running
- biggest running lessons learned since her early days on the trail
- running reads
- the 3 loop adventure at The Maze 30k
Simply press the Play button to stream below.
To Download to Computer: Download MP3 (right click “save as”)
Also, if you enjoyed the podcast in any way, we would love and be most grateful for a brief rating and review over on iTunes. Thanks so much!
Resources and Goodies Mentioned
- University of Scranton – Where Jess went to college and played soccer
- Honey Stinger – sports nutrition
- Hammer gel – sports nutrition
- Sport Beans – sports nutrition
Thank you so much for being a part of the EB tribe. If you enjoyed the podcast and feel others you know may be interested as well, feel free to share with the social media buttons below. We really appreciate you.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
Posted on 13 Jul 2015