65 year old, Bobby Keogh of New Mexico, has nearly ran the greatest north-south distances of the contiguous United States in his accumulated finish miles at the Rocky Raccoon 100 alone!
This year, Bobby completed his 15th Rocky Raccoon 100 and puts himself in a very small group, count it – 2, that have experienced 1500 miles of pineywoods goodness.
From growing up on the flat terrain within Grand Forks, North Dakota, Bobby acquired a love of the mountains and eventually ultra running after moving to New Mexico.
While early on it was a struggle to simply walk the hills to the college campus, in the distance the Sandia mountains welcomed a visit. To the top he went and would look back on the city below.
“This is cool!”
Greatly inspired by the youth he helped and supported at New Mexico’s Philmont Scout Ranch, Bobby wanted to find a way to challenge himself, to explore his own limits.
Ultra running became the challenge of choice.
Enjoy my chat with Bobby that includes the following musings and useful goodies for you:
- running background including his first marathon at Grandma’s in northern Minnesota
- the transition to New Mexico and beginning his trail/ultra journey thanks to the inspiration from his time helping youth at Philmont
- nose-in-navel memories at first official trail race in New Mexico
- the Mount Taylor quad
- how Bobby has tried to keep running and the passion burning for the sport as he travels through his 60s
- reflections of some of the amazing early ultra athletes
- a great Deadman Peaks race story showcasing our great people and community
- getting out of the mental funk
- memories from The Ghost Town 38.5 Trail Run
- the heat exhaustive memories from that first Rocky back in 1997
- the joy of finding that shoe and the shortest run in them being 44 miles
- lead-up to Rocky Raccoon 2015 – 2 big races
- Bobby’s reasons why three weeks between big 100 mile races is doable, and maybe even “optimal”
- memories from Rocky Raccoon 2015
Simply press the Play button to stream below.
Resources and Goodies Mentioned
- Rocky Raccoon 100
- Grandma’s Marathon
- La Luz
- Pikes Peak
- Hardrock 100
- Leadville 100
- Mount Taylor Quad
- Deadman Peaks
- The Ghost Town 38.5 (no longer exists)
- Across the Years
- Monument Valley 100
- Coldwater Rumble 100
Thank you so much for being a part of the EB tribe. If you enjoyed the podcast and feel others you know may be interested as well, feel free to share with the social media buttons below. We really appreciate you.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
[Hey EB tribe! This article contains affiliate links to Amazon which costs you nothing and provides a small commission to us if you would purchase through our link.]
Posted on 26 Feb 2015