From a 17 Year Smoker to a Top Texas Trail Runner: A Chat with Thomas Orf – 2014 Texas Trail Series Ultra Men’s Champ – EB42
“If a person can do it, as long as you want to do it, you can do it.” – Thomas Orf
Thomas Orf of Texas won the Ultra Men’s division of the 2014 Texas Trail Running Series. Thomas put together three top 100 mile series finishes along with earning the series win at the final race, a 100 miler, the Brazos Bend 100.
Thomas started his endurance sports journey in 2007 after dropping a 17 year smoking habit which he no longer wanted in his family’s life. Thomas’s focus and energy transitioned to his bucket list – run a marathon. From there, the love of running began to grow. Watching the Bandwater film, Running on the Sun, triggered a deep interest in the ultra world. As so his journey into trail running began.
Enjoy my chat with Thomas that includes the following musings and useful goodies for you:
- the transition from smoker to Boston qualifier
- Watching the Running on the Sun film and wanting to run farther
- the not-so-enjoyable early days of trail running
- memories from his first trail race, the Bandera 100k. Teaser – it hurt.
- exploring the 100 mile distance
- one of the biggest attractions of the sport he did not expect
- favorite local trails (Austin area)
- favorite running books
- a useful tip and insight on patience and why you may want to turn your race strategy upside-down
- how Thomas wants the first 50M of a 100M race to feel like
- 2014 Texas Trail Series memories
Simply press the Play button to stream below.
To Download to Computer: Download MP3 (right click “save as”)
Resources and Goodies Mentioned
- Boston Marathon
- Bandera 100k
- Rocky Raccoon 100
- Badwater 135
- Heartland 100
- Big Cedar 100
- Brazos Bend 100
Trails (Austin Area)
Reads / Films
Thank you so much for being a part of the EB tribe. If you enjoyed the podcast and feel others you know may be interested as well, feel free to share with the social media buttons below. We really appreciate you.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
[Hey EB tribe! This article contains affiliate links to Amazon which costs you nothing and provides a small commission to us if you would purchase a book through our link.]
Posted on 17 Feb 2015