Texas Trail Running Championship Series Goes Big-er in 2014 – Lace Them Up at 28 Races Throughout the State
Texas is known to go big and for 2014 will launch a Texas Trail Running Championship series that includes 28 races from throughout the state. First race in the series is on January 11 and the last on December 14.
In 2013, Joe Prusaitis of Tejas Trails essentially test-drove the series concept (points scoring , tracking, etc) with his set of races and based on the positive feedback wanted to expand and make it more of a true Texas series. Here we are!
Major behind the scenes contributors include Ben Phenix and David Jacobson who research and formulate the points scoring system, collect and sort results data, and manage the new series website.
The series is an age-group based points series and includes both an Ultra-Trail and Trail (sub-Ultra) category. Add on top of that a fun Club category.
- 4 – Run 4 races throughout the year within your series category (Ultra or Trail) to qualify for series awards. You could accumulate points in both series categories.
- Top 7 – Points can be accumulated for up to 7 races per category. If you run more than 7 races in a category, your top 7 points will be used.
- USATF – Be a USATF Member from any state (one-time $30 fee for entire year) by Feb 28, or before your first series race you wish to collect points (if after Feb 28). To be part of the Club category, the club must be registered with USATF. Club Application ($50)
- All Welcome – Runners from any state or country can participate in the series.
You can check out the full list of basic series rules here. Note, if you participated in the 2013 version of the series, there have been a few tweaks so it may be worth taking a look.
The 28 races have a pretty wide bootprint. I think I see the boot, do you?
You can check out the complete listing of all 28 series races here.
At a minimum…
- Bling – Looks like there will be blingy awards for top-3 in each age group of each series category (Ultra and Trail).
- Big Entry Discounts – Each age-group champion will receive 50% discounts on the following year’s races for nearly all races that participated in the series during the year you won the age group. (The Capt’n Karl’s Summer Series is the only excluded races at this time.)
- Top Club – The top running club will receive a group award of some type. Sounds mysterious…and it is. Not sure if has been completely determined yet for 2014.
To get an idea on how things played out last year (Joe’s races only), you can check out the series results.
As you can see with this series, a lot of things can happen. Runners from the front, middle, and back can place in their age group. If you don’t participate in four races within a category, you don’t qualify for placing at the end of the year.
As an RD involved with the series, I really hope the series becomes a bit of extra fun and another way to help connect the people, places, and races…the community…that comes to play on the varied trails within Texas.
The only real to-do item if you want to be part of the series is to have a USATF Membership. If a Club wishes to participate on a Club level, the club needs to be registered with USATF (and may already be – Club Application).
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com