Running Warehouse banner

Trail Running Course

2013 Midnight Madness 50 Mile Results Plus a Chat with Jenn Overmeyer and Nick Seymour

On July 5th, 125 runners began the 51.5 mile urban pavement adventure in Tulsa, Oklahoma on the River Parks Trail System along the Arkansas River at the Midnight Madness 50 miler.

Photo: Courtesy Tom Love @

Photo: Courtesy Tom Love @

Mostly flat. Fast. The biggest twist to it all…an 11:59PM start!

Photo: Courtesy Tom Love @

Photo: Courtesy Tom Love @

Nick Seymour of Yukon, Oklahoma went on to defend his 2012 effort and set a new course record in 6:51:56!

Top 5 Male

  1. Nick Seymour – 6:51:56
  2. Nathan Sicher – 7:09:49
  3. John Gignac – 7:45:38
  4. Jeffrey Jones – 7:49:03
  5. Matt Clay – 8:08:32

Nick Seymour pushing the effort to the finish on way to a new course record. (Photo: Courtesy Tom Love @

Local Tulsa runner, Jenn Overmeyer, won the female race in 8:50:35, 11th overall!

Top 5 Female

  1. Jenn Overmeyer – 8:50:35
  2. Tammy Walther – 8:56:55
  3. Suzanne Marchesano – 9:13:46
  4. Cyndi Graves – 9:14:43
  5. Lindsay McCarter – 9:24:26

Denny Lawson of Tulsa was our Tough As Nails finisher with a 14:50:46 dash across the finish line.

Shirt award.

Photo: Courtesy Tom Love @

Big smile and a Message from Leon Curry as he runs his way to a finish. (Photo: Courtesy Tom Love @

Complete results.

Enjoy our brief chat with the two that led the female and male inspiration train, Jenn Overmeyer and Nick Seymour.

 Jenn Overmeyer

Were there any lessons you learned from last year’s Midnight Madness you brought with you for this year’s adventure?

The best thing I have learned is to leave my watch at home and just run. If I have my watch I tend to overthink things and lose focus doing the math rather than enjoying the run. I even avoided looking at the timer at the start/finish so I never knew my pace or what time it was. It was great to just run by feel rather than let a number dictate my run.

You dropped over two hours from your finish time from 2012! How would you describe how this year’s race played out for you?

The other two times I’ve done the Midnight Madness I would run solo or fall in with a group for a few miles, and I switched pacers every lap so I never stayed with the same people for long. This year one of my friends signed up the week of the race, so he and I ran together until a few miles into the last lap, roughly 45 miles. Neither of us had slept Friday so we were goofy from lack of sleep. I damn near died choking on a peanut butter cookie but refused to stop eating it and he chased down a skunk he thought was an armadillo. At one point I ran away from him because I didn’t recognize him but, I blame the fact he changed shirts 3 miles before. We were a mess but we kept each other going and had a great time.

Any specific challenges you had to work through?

I work full time and I am also in school full time, so my schedule was a wreck the beginning of the year. From early January through mid-May I did one long run and that was a marathon I ran in March. The rest of my runs topped out in the low teens because I just didn’t have enough hours in the day. I added time where I could during the week, but some weeks I barely ran. When my classes ended for the summer, I had to catch up so I doubled my mileage in a week, started cycling on my off days and just kept it up from there.

Did you have a favorite food item that had you craving for more during the nighttime and early morning hours?

On the last lap a friend who was working the aid station asked me what I wanted at the finish. I told him I wanted a suicide (mixed) slushy, apparently I was vehement that it couldn’t have any cola or white cherry. So after the race, I was in the ice bath drinking my slushy and freezing, but I couldn’t have been happier.

Nick Seymour

Prior to the Midnight Madness 50 you participated in a few Oklahoma legs of the One Run for Boston relay across the US to show support and raise funds for our Boston marathon community. How many miles/legs did you end up running? Could you share a couple of your strongest memories from this experience?

The One Run for Boston relay was an excellent event and very well organized. I ended up running 39 miles total which were comprised of three straight legs from South of Calumet all the way through El Reno, Yukon, and into OKC. The final 5 miles was the OKC group run which finished at the OKC National Memorial. It was great running with family / friends for the entire duration. The most memorable moments were definitely running through the tornado devastation in El Reno where an EF5 monster tornado was 2.5 miles wide and ravaged homes, farms, and businesses… Somber portion of the run, but it was one of the reasons we were running. We had a picture from this section that was shared by many through Facebook and Twitter. Scott Jurek even retweeted the picture, so many people became aware of the event. All ORFB OK stage registration fees were being donated to the OK tornado relief which made it even sweeter!

Check out Nick’s complete One Run for Boston report on his blog.

After winning the War Eagle 50km in early June, how did the training go in the lead-up to the Midnight Madness?

Training was pretty good. We went to Sedona, AZ and I was able to run some trails out that way in hilly terrain. We also visited the Grand Canyon and I was able to do a quick training run. It was amazing descending 2.5 miles into the canyon on switchbacks and then power hiking 2,000’ back up to the rim. I experienced a strained glute / hamstring after the ORFB relay stages, but I was still able to maintain 70-90 miles per week albeit at a slower pace than normal. I wasn’t willing to sacrifice training for the Leadville 100, so there was only about a three day taper for MM50. I’d also gotten my first 100 mile week of the year one week prior to MM50, so I didn’t know exactly how fatigued the legs would be. I assumed it would take a sub 7 hour finish to win and didn’t think I really had it in me with the prior muscle issues and hard training weeks.

It looks like you may have ran with or near fellow Oklahoma speedster, Katie Kramer, for the first three loops. Did you two push the pacer together or were you both doing your own thing?

Katie pushed the pace after an initial 8 minute first mile with a group of runners. I wasn’t planning to go out much faster than a 7:40 pace, but she took off and my extremely competitive nature wouldn’t allow me to let her go that early. We ran really hard the first lap and I just stayed close while trying to not burn too much energy. We exchanged the lead during the 2nd and 3rd laps, but I ultimately took the lead for good at the end of the 3rd lap. I was expecting the legs to fatigue and quit on me after this, but they somehow never did. I’d heard she had dropped at mile 34, but I still wanted to push the pace and see what I was made of. I knew Leadville was not going to be easy so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to try and suffer a bit. I never really hit any low spots though. It was a perfect race and really a breakout performance for me. I almost felt like I had something to prove to myself and was extremely motivated for this race.

Did you do any special training to prepare the body and mind to start running from midnight till morning?

My normal training mostly occurs late at night or early in the morning in the moonlit hours to maximize family time with my wife and son, so running from midnight to dawn really appeals to me. Having run the race the prior year really prepared me for the event as well, so there weren’t any unknowns going into it. I’ve also been incorporating lunch time runs throughout the week which was been excellent for acclimatizing to the heat.

Any strong memories from the run?

Seeing friends / family running, crewing, and volunteering kept the spirits up. I never really had any low moments during the entire race, and all these people contributed to provide an excellent atmosphere. I’m a lucky guy to have such a supportive family / friends as well. My wife, Mom, and Dad all crewed for me and were like a NASCAR pit crew at each stop. I swear I never stopped at an aid station for longer than 15 seconds… Rock Stars! My buddy Joe Parizek also paced for miles 30 – 40, and bro-in-law Brandon Abla paced me the final 10 miles. These guys were some Badasses to stay up all night and kept me motivated to finish strong.

Special thanks to Nick Seymour, Jenn Overmeyer, and Tom Love of Tom Love Photography for sharing with the tribe.

Be active – Feel the buzz!

David –

About the author

David Hanenburg David Hanenburg is the passionate dirt-lovin' creator of Endurance Buzz and has been playing in the endurance sports world since 2000 after knockin' the dust off of his Trek 950 hardtail thanks to a friend asking to go ride some local dirt. In 2007 he ran his first ultra on the trails and fell in love with the sport and its people. For more information on David's endurance sports journey, check out the About page.

Comments are closed.