Over 450 runners enjoyed some puddle jumpin’ and plenty of bouncing headlamps at the el Chupacabra de Houston nighttime scamper. Heavily wooded trails within Lake Houston Park and the 8:30 pm start, made for a unique 5/10 km adventure.
Sesar Figueroa (15 min road 5ker) and Kevin Pool were locked in an exciting front-end 10 km dash. Both averaged near a 6:30 pace in the darkness with Sesar creating a 22 second gap at the finish to win the male race in 40:12.
Top 5 male
- Sesar Figueroa – 40:12 (gun time)
- Kevin Pool – 40:33 (tag time)
- Jondell Shives – 41:40
- Gus Murillo – 43:22
- Ryan Gill – 43:32
The female race reminded those interested in the win, to position yourself near the front. Gun time, not chip/tag time often determines the win. While two women ran faster 10km times, their gun times were slower because they were positioned a ways back at the start.
Raquel Tidwell earned the female win averaging a 6:59 per mile turnover in a gun time of 43:28.
Laura Zamarripa and Elsa Rodriguez had a spicy little run between each other being separated by 2 seconds (tag time) at the finish. They would have likely created an extremely fun race with Raquel if they would have started near the front.
Top 5 female
- Raquel Tidwell – 43:28 (gun time)
- Laura Zamarripa – 43:21 (tag time, gun time: 43:52)
- Elsa Rodriguez – 43;23 (tag time, gun time: 43:56)
- Natalie Buchs – 47:01
- Shannon Lewis – 50:51
Isabel Gloria-Ruiz ran within the top three of the overall and won the female race in 27:09.
Jenniffer Deets earned second place honors.
Top 5 female
- Isabel Gloria-Ruiz – 27:09 (gun time)
- Jenniffer Deets – 27:30
- Diana Gusman – 27:42
- Cristina Chavarria – 27:43
- Melissa Dominguez – 28:03
Steve Duran ran alone at the front of the male race averaging a 7:28 pace and crossing the finish in 23:13.
Joseph Herr crossed the line for second, over three minutes later.
Top 5 male
- Steve Duran – 23:13 (gun time)
- Joseph Herr – 26:25
- Dale Marshall – 27:07
- Michele Cencini – 27:20
- Chirag Sabunani – 27:20
We got a Vid
(If you can’t see the video, click here.)
Race Reports and Pics
- I couldn’t find any race reports. Please share in a comment below if you have one.
- race pics – Check out all the great pics by Andrew Wolfe of PhotoWolfe.com.
Talk some Dirt
- What did you think of the night run experience?
- How many white shoes got muddy/dirty?
Check out the TALON Race Guide
There are 150+ regional trail/ultra races in the TALON Race Guide. Be sure to check it out if you are looking for the most complete list of events in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. New events are always being added.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
Posted on 05 Jun 2012
4 Responses to “El Chupacabra de Houston – 2012 Results”