Sitting at a Ski Lodge aid station at mile 36 of the Jemez 50 mile (race report) using the Tiger Tail for about one minute before heading off to complete this adventure, and thought to myself, “damn this feels good.” Upon leaving the aid station, while plenty fatigued, I had an extra hop in my step thanks to a little time with this handy, little massager.
Most endurance athletes appreciate, benefit from, and often use some sort of massage to support their enjoyment of the sport.
This could include a combination of the following:
- Time with a professional masseuse
- Trigger Point Kits
- Foam Roller
Most of these methods are less convenient or not possible at a race or immediately after a three hour run on some sweet rollin’ singletrack. This is where the Tiger Tail fills a need and does a pretty darn good job.
What is the Tiger Tail?
The Tiger Tail is an 18″ (or 22″) long handheld muscle massager created by a passionate athlete like ourselves, Spring Faussett.
Consider it a convenient sized foam roller on a stick. For you fair-goers – don’t eat it!
Use is simple.
Grab the handles like riding your bike, and with pressure move the firm foam covered roller along the muscles of interest.
For a more in-depth description, check out the one page instruction sheet.
What makes it Growl?
Here are some of the benefits that have caught my attention.
- Small/Portable – Toss it in your drop bag, workout bag, or a suitcase – not a problem. Heck, you could probably strap it to a hydration pack if you really wanted to.
- Simplicity – Grab the comfy handles and roll those calves, quads, or other desired areas.
- Dig Deep – There is no flex in the product which allows you to put as much pressure as you want or are capable of.
- Cross Friction Capable – The roller foam has a small amount of grab to it which provides the ability to move the Tiger Tail across the muscles instead of only along the length of the muscle.
- Economical – For the price of a couple pairs of running socks, you have a useful running tool.
- Made in USA – Can’t complain about that.
The Tiger Tail Experience
The Tiger Tail (18″) has hung out with me at races, after training runs, and has been useful for long road trips.
Using the Tiger Tail at mile 16 and 36 of the Jemez 50 mile adventure really made the legs smile. I spent about a minute each time and worked through the lower and upper leg. Upon standing I immediately noticed I felt less stiff and more springy. This guy will always be in my drop bag going forward.
Day two of our drive home from Jemez included an eight hour segment of car time. Not fun after a big run. Each stop to refuel or grab a bite to eat, I would quickly roll the legs. I felt it really reduced the 120 year old man walk that often can happen. I actually walked without drawing any what’s wrong with that dude glances. I think using the Tiger Trail was part of the reason why.
My main use for the Tiger Tail is to massage the legs and can work pretty good for the bumper as well. Although the product shows creative ways to get the upper body, you sometimes need to be a bit bendy to make it happen. I don’t use it on the upper body.
The Tiger Tail is a great portable massage tool (especially on the lower body) that can bring the benefits of massage to wherever your tread or life takes you.
Small – Simple to Use – Effective!
Have you used the Tiger Tail? What are your thoughts on it?
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com