Not One, not Two, but Three days of trail running adventures for those wanting to complete the entire dirt lovin’ package. Or simply enjoy the day of your choosing. Now put yourself in the Ozark Mountains in north central Arkansas and your have yourself the 3 Days of Syllamo!
50 km, 50 mile and a 20 km wraps up the weekend.
So how much climbing is there?
- 50 km – 7000 feet
- 50 mile – 15000 feet
- 20 km – 3300 feet
“Approximately 96 miles; 26,000ft of climbing and 26,000ft of descending; 3 Days! It doesn’t get much better than that!” – Steve Kirk, Race Director of 3 Days of Syllamo
A great summary of the three days of trail scamper can be enjoyed by a Nicholas Norfolk article at Arkansas Outside.
All results below are based on preliminary info.
Top 5 male
- Rasmus Hoeg (WI) – 4:13:58
- Nick Lewis (TN) – 4:25:14
- Darin Schneidewind (KS) – 4:35:26
- Adam Dearing (MO) – 4:43:33
- Travis Liles (IL) – 4:49:20
Top 5 female
- Ashley Nordell (OR) – 4:55:06 (*7th overall*)
- Tracy Hoeg (WI) – 5:22:50
- Teddi Schneider (LA) – 5:36:40
- Lisa Walbridge – 5:50:31
- Laurie Euler – (CO) – 6:02:29
Top 5 female
- Ashley Nordell (OR) – 9:39:14 (*6th overall*)
- Mindy Coolman (MO) – 10:18:14
- Tracy Hoeg (WI) – 10:20:43
- Teddi Schneider (LA) – 10:52:44
- Meghan Hicks (UT) – 11:18:35
Top 5 male
- Nick Lewis (TN) – 8:41:04
- Jake Anderson (TX) – 9:11:41
- Adam Casseday (WV) – 9:29:54
- Aaron Norman (MO) – 9:35:45
- Darin Schneidewind (KS) – 9:36:57
Top 5 male
- Rasmus Hoeg (WI) – 1:52:20
- Aaron Norman (MO) – 2:00:36
- Kevin Cooper (CO) – 2:02:10
- Nick Lewis (TN) – 2:03:16
- Chad Johnson (AR) – 2:04:22
Top 5 female
- Ashley Nordell (OR) – 2:13:00
- Meghan Hicks (UT) – 2:21:47
- Corina Miller (AR) – 2:25:25
- Tracy Hoeg (WI) – 2:32:02
- Teddi Schneider (LA) – 2:33:54
3 Day Overall
Overall Top 3 male
- Nick Lewis (TN) – 15:09:33
- Darin Schneidewind (KS) – 16:19:38
- Aaron Norman (MO) – 16:52:39
- Ashley Nordell (OR) – 16:47:21 (*3rd overall*)
- Tracy Hoeg (WI) – 18:15:35
- Teddi Schnieder (LA) – 19:03:18
Here is a good little video by David Wakefield capturing a few moments throughout the three days.
(If you can’t see the video, click here.)
Check out some of the wisest finishers. I hope this stuff fires you up as much as it does me.
- Charles Mabry (MO – age 68) and Maurice Robinson (AR – age 70) inspired in the 20 km.
Life is play. Play is life.
The Tough-as-Nails Award
The final finishers of an ultra distance event are some of the toughest athletes that are willing to stick with it to the best of their current ability and cross that darn finish line.
The Tough-as-Nails award recipients:
- Amanda Jerman (MO) completed the 50 mile journey in 13:32:51.
- Perrin Peacock (OH) and Cariann Hutchens (MS) crossed the 50 km finish together in 8:33:41.
- “This race really is more about camaraderie and fellowship, than competition. But . . . there was still some racing going on and here’s how it shook out for me.” by Casseday @ Chasing the Wind
- “As I was leaving I noticed that a woman had passed me while I was lollygagging at the aid station. I was feeling competitive. She was walking parts of the rocky hill that took us past the halfway point, so I did my Colorado thing and just ran, slowly but surely. If I had been more focused on staying on course and less on kicking ass, I would have noticed that I was being lead off course.” by Laurie @ Lost in the Dirt (Day 1), Day 2
- “I could say these past three days have been like a dream, but I have never had close to this much fun in a dream. 95 miles in 3 days in running shoes with marked trails and aid stations. This may just be the best way to discover a new area of the world. And the Ozarks are gorgeous.” by Sea Legs Girl
- “We had a fun trip. I had insisted on driving down to Arkansas, as flying with little kids stresses me out. We packed 5 people and too much junk into our aging minivan (the “busboos”) and drove south.” by Fast Bastard
Talk some Dirt
- If you ran all three days, which day was the toughest for you?
- Was there a special moment or experience during your run? Feel free to share.
Special thanks to Jeremy Day for sharing the great photos you see above!
Check out the TALON Race Guide
There are 150+ regional trail/ultra races in the TALON Race Guide. Be sure to check it out if you are looking for the most complete list of events in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. New events are always being added.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com