On February 28th over 350 runners played along the scenic and challenging out-and-back course on the trails just north of Mountain View, Arkansas for the Sylamore Trail 50 km and 25 km adventure.
Along with a couple water crossings that reached up to waist-level, the terrain constantly varies within the biggest climbs in the 300-400 foot range. (course profile)
You can get a good summary of the fast-footed scamper from Nicholas Norfolk at Arkansas Outside.
Top 5 male
- Clay Hickman (TN) – 4:02:46
- Ted Herget (AR) – 4:04:23
- Nick Lewis (TN) – 4:04:36
- Olaf Schulz (TN) – 4:20:04
- Roger McMillan (AR) – 4:20:32
- Mary-Ellen Kelly (TN) – 4:54:50
- Nancyanne Hickman (TN) – 5:05:38
- Alison Jumper (AR) – 5:12:27
- Natalie McBee (AR) – 5:25:45
- Bethany Spiller (TN) – 5:39:37
Here’s a cool short video by vonralls from last year highlighting a sweet rock section.
(If you can’t see the video, click here.)
top 5 female
- Ashley O’Reilly (MO) – 2:27:53
- Whitney Kerth (AR) – 2:29:38
- Barbara Mariani (AR) – 2:45:20
- Dulcinea Groff (AR) – 3:02:09
- Erin Grills (TN) – 3:07:13
- Matt Pruitt (TN) – 2:00:35
- Charlie Hogue (MO) – 2:12:01
- James Slaba (TN) – 2:14:26
- Eric Tripp (MO) – 2:16:07
- McLean Wilson (TN) – 2:23:07
Check out some of the wisest finishers. I hope this stuff fires you up as much as it does me.
- Frank Ingalls (67) scampered through the 50k adventure.
- Terry Bishop (67) and Roger Williams (70) enjoyed the 25k journey.
Life is play. Play is life.
The Tough-as-Nails Award
The final finishers of an ultra distance event are some of the toughest athletes that are willing to stick with it to the best of their current ability and cross that darn finish line.
The Tough-as-Nails award recipients:
- Susan McCourt and Lisa Gunnoe crossed the finish line together in 9:28:27.
Race Reports and Pics
- “It took me a while to get into my rhythm but by the time we crossed the river I was in a good pack of 12 or so and we were running well. Settle in, stay hydrated and… thud!” by Kevin @ Can’t Stop Endurance
- “Did I mention the scenery? It was almost enough to keep you distracted from all the climbing. We were eventually rewarded with this fantastic, long, WIDE, albeit very muddy downhill, I felt like I was flying down that baby to get to the turnaround point.” by gabsatrucker @ gabs a trucker
- Race Event Photos by Black Dog Photo Productions – You can check out the water crossing.
Talk some Dirt
- What did you think of the course?
- How was that water crossing?
Check out the TALON Race Guide
There are 150+ regional trail/ultra races in the TALON Race Guide. Be sure to check it out if you are looking for the most complete list of events in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. New events are always being added.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com