Running Warehouse banner

Trail Running Course

Styx ‘N Stones Trail Run – 2011 Results

On the beautiful trails in northwest Arkansas, 50 trail runners enjoyed a 30 km or 15 km morning scamper at Devil’s Den State Park for the Styx ‘N Stones Trail Run.

Oh baby! (Photo: Courtesy Skyler and Maria Lanning)

Technical, scenic, and miles of dirty fun describes the basic nature of this course.  Elevation varies from 1000 – 1800 feet.


Photo: Courtesy Skyler and Maria Lanning

30 km

Oklahoma speedster, Tom Brennan (4:34 – 2011 Ouachita Trail 50km winner), led the male inspiration train averaging an 8:25 pace and crossing the finish first in 2:36:58.

Less than six minutes back Arkansas athlete, Stephen O’Neal finished the 30 km run in 2:42:33 for second place.

Top 5 male

  1. Tom Brennan – 2:36:58
  2. Stephen O’Neal – 2:42:33
  3. David Joseph – 3:00:06
  4. PoDog Vogler – 3:00:23
  5. Mark DenHerder – 3:08:49

Look closely. Such a cool pic! (Photo: Courtesy Skyler and Maria Lanning)

Arkansas runners, Katie Helms and Whitney Kerth, were separated by one minute after 30 km of trail adventure. Katie dashed across the line first in 3:24:00 with Whitney just behind in 3:25:00.

Top 5 female

  1. Katie Helms – 3:24:00
  2. Whitney Kerth – 3:25:00
  3. Dulcinea Groff – 3:35:00
  4. Deb Baker – 3:37:06
  5. Abby Darrah – 3:40:00

Photo: Courtesy Skyler and Maria Lanning

15 km

Arkansas athlete, Sarah Whipple, averaged a 10:36 min/mile pace that created a 16+ minute gap and won the female race in 1:38:55.

Maria Lanning crossed second in 1:55:00.

Top 5 female

  1. Sarah Whipple – 1:38:55
  2. Maria Lanning – 1:55:00
  3. Michelle Roberts – 2:00:00
  4. Megan Kale – 2:01:00
  5. Tracy Heath – 2:08:01

Photo: Courtesy Skyler and Maria Lanning

Adam Servies and Sean Salazar pushed the pace together at the front until Sean was able to create a small 30 second gap at the finish to win the male race in 1:18:50.

A few deep breaths later, Adam finished in 1:19:20.

Top 5 male

  1. Sean Salazar – 1:18:50
  2. Adam Servies – 1:19:20
  3. Siddhi Tfrost – 1:25:00
  4. Elliot Morgan – 1:25:37
  5. Steve Nimmo – 1:36:00

Complete Results

Inspiration Point

Check out some of the wisest finishers. I hope this stuff fires you up as much as it does me.

  • Patrick Riley went after the 30 km at age 62.

Life is play. Play is life.

Race Reports

  • Couldn’t find any. If you have one to share please comment below!

Also feel free to share your adventure at the event, we would love to hear about it.

Photos: Courtesy Skyler and Maria Lanning

Special thanks to Jason Auer and Skyler and Maria Lanning for the great photos you see above!

Check out the TALON Race Guide

There are 157 regional trail/ultra races in the TALON Race Guide. Be sure to check it out if you are looking for the most complete list of events in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. New events are always being added.

Be active – Feel the buzz!

David –

About the author

David Hanenburg David Hanenburg is the passionate dirt-lovin' creator of Endurance Buzz and has been playing in the endurance sports world since 2000 after knockin' the dust off of his Trek 950 hardtail thanks to a friend asking to go ride some local dirt. In 2007 he ran his first ultra on the trails and fell in love with the sport and its people. For more information on David's endurance sports journey, check out the About page.

4 Responses to “Styx ‘N Stones Trail Run – 2011 Results”

  1. on 07 Nov 2011 at 1:16 pm Andrey Dumchev

    It was awesome run! Results is nothing compare with pleasure! Organisation was nice and friendly. Free run (without fee) should geather more and more people 🙂

  2. on 08 Nov 2011 at 10:52 am David Hanenburg

    Thanks for sharing Andrey. The few photos alone are pretty sweet!

    Happy Running!

  3. on 09 Nov 2011 at 9:50 pm Lisa "Pink Panther" Vorwerk

    This race started out with a nice steady climb for what seemed like 2 1/2 miles or so. We ran a rocky single track trail while dodging horseback riders and slipping alongside breath-taking mountain vistas! I think it may have taken me close to 50 minutes or more to get to the top.

    Once at the top, I knew I could open up on some of the flat and then I knew I’d be heading downhill soon since I’d ran parts of that section before. I had a blast blaring my IPOD while zooming past 2 men and 2 ladies who looked at me like I was crazy. I found myself spreading my arms like a little kid acting like I was an airplane. It takes quick nimble sure steps to navigate the rough rocky terrain but that is what I am very good at.

    By the time I hit the bottom I was needing a little GU and some water. Luckily aid was plentiful through this stage and I refueled with a piece of jerkey and a splash of water trying to stay ahead of one of the men I had passed earlier. I kept my eyes peeled for poker chip markers that we were supposed to pick up to prove we hadn’t cut the course short. I came out at the start around the 15km mark in 1:53….(good enough for a second place finish, had I been running the 15k).

    The memories of horsecamps and grassy pastures were soon fading as I meandered through some campgrounds and into Fossil Flats, a sandy flat area that is the most runnable section of the whole course. Unfortunately, I ran out of juice and started to fade around mile 12. I just couldn’t get my body to move at my earlier motivated pace.

    Finally, I crossed dry creek beds and started heading back up an incline near a road. I could hear voices and kept saying to myself, “I must be getting close to aid and to the trail exit at the blacktop,” but it just never seemed to come. I heard bikers on Harleys talking and hikers chatting in the distance but all I wanted was WATER. I had sucked all 4 fuel belt bottles dry and GU was starting to sound like water to me. Then finally at about 3 1/2 hours or more I hit the 15 mile mark.

    I believe this next section got out of Devil’s Den State Park as I recalled. The previous evening I had helped Susan McCourt, 15k runner and NASA member, re-mark this section of the course because some of the markers had been torn down during a search and rescue several days prior to the race. We marked orange taping in the trees about every 30 yards and had little orange stick flags marking the ground along turns in challenging areas.

    We ran along this ditch-filled road dotted with deep mudholes passing a hunter’s camp. These men were drinking coffee, cleaning rifles and talking on their cell phones as we ran through their area. The only thing I didn’t see was deer.

    I recalled much earlier, although I cannot remember which section, we ran into a pickup truck that was parked right on the course. It would have been fun to run right up the bed of their truck and over their hood back down on the trail but it was just as priceless to see them freak out that 50 runners were running through their camp. I almost thought they were an aid station and almost ran up to their table to grab something to drink until I realized what they were chugging might dehydrate me (LOL).

    After about a mile on this road, we approached the downhill rocky HELL’S HALF MILE, a steep downhill of rocks and knee-knocking nasties. To move at a decent pace I bent my knees deep in the descent, shortened my steps and used the small trees to slow my pace.

    Everything was going quite well and my predicted time of 4 1/2 hours seemed within my reach but secretly I was hoping to break 4 hours. I was approaching the bottom and rolling the hills along the water again when suddenly the flagging disappeared. I looked at my Garmin and knew I was gettng close but I questioned whether I had missed a turn. I could hear people talking on the other side of the water and I really felt like perhaps I was supposed to cross the creek down there somewhere but I knew I had been paying attention, so I kept moving forward.

    Finally, after a lot of panic and distress I saw signs proving that my instincts to continue were right. Later I found out that the marking crew had ran out of flagging that morning and only had the signs left. Normally, signs would be our only markers but we had been spoiled for about 16 miles or more and I just expected to be babied like that until the end.

    Once I finally reached the park again, I popped out and ran along a grassy area through children playing frisbee, dodging some cub scouts and avoiding running over a sweet grandma as I followed the final cones into the finish line. And just as I expected I hit right at 4:30.

    It was an adventure in my new Adidas Vigor TR shoes! Huge thanks to Jason Auer, Mark Denherder and Susan McCourt for putting over 20 hours on the trails the week before the race clearing hazards, marking trail and making sure everyone had a great adventure.

    I had a blast! I will be back next year for a second poke at the DEVIL of this DEN!

  4. on 15 Nov 2011 at 10:54 am David Hanenburg

    Great report Pink Panther! I felt like I ran it with you. 🙂