Vogler and Brod showcase spicy times within recent years to win the 100 mile scamper.
It was an epic weekend for the 107 trail adventurers that toed the line for the 21st Annual Arkansas Traveller 100 that takes place within the Ouachita National Forest 30 miles west of Little Rock, Arkansas. Athletes from throughout the U.S. as well as Canada and Japan laced them up and were ready to play.
The adventure starts with an eight mile counter-clockwise loop on the Ouachita National Recreational Trail before transitioning to the 92 mile out-and-back section of the course. A total of 12,000 feet of ascent is shared with all runners across the 100 mile journey.
After his win in 2009 (17:49:50) and runner-up finish in 2010 (19:02:11), Arkansas runner PoDog Vogler was back to challenge himself on this historic course. PoDog averaged a 10:26 min/mile pace which held off 2:45 marathoner (5/28/11 – Jonesboro Marathon), Ted Herget, by a 100 mile ultra-small 21 minutes and won the male race in 17:24:30. This 21 minute difference translates to 13 seconds per mile!
Ted Herget was alone in second with the only other sub-18 hour finish time of 17:45:56.
Top 5 male (based on un-audited results)
- PoDog Vogler (AR) – 17:24:30
- Ted Herget (AR) – 17:45:56
- William Ansick (AL) – 18:39:15
- Paul Schoenlaub (MO) – 19:55:35
- James Breyfogle (NM) – 20:48:28
Arkansas local, Jenny Brod, ran a 1:32:00 at the Arkansas 20 km (7:24 pace) in early September which translated to some nice turnover across 100 miles as a group of East Coast athletes took up the chase. Jenny averaged a 13:03 pace that positioned her 8th overall to win the female race in 21:46:31.
92 minutes later, Massachusetts runners, Susan Collins-Pulick and Lori Wetzel crossed the finish line together for second in 23:18:20.
Top 5 female (based on un-audited results)
- Jenny Brod (AR) – 21:46:31 (*8th overall*)
- Susan Collins-Pulick (MA) – 23:18:20
- Lori Wetzel (MA) – 23:18:20
- Jenny Chow (NJ) – 23:51:44
- Marianna Inslee (VA) – 24:58:05
Check out some of the wisest finishers. I hope this stuff fires you up as much as it does me.
- Vicente Ledesma (age 60 – TX), Ian Maddieson (age 69 – NM), Bob Haugh (age 60 – KY), and Jim Ingalls (age 66 – TX) all traveled 100 continuous miles by foot!
Life is play. Play is life.
The Tough-as-Nails Award
The final finishers of an ultra distance event are some of the toughest athletes that are willing to stick with it to the best of their current ability and cross that darn finish line.
The Tough-as-Nails award recipients:
- Sammy Barnes (AR) enjoyed two sunrises and crossed the finish line in 30:09:50.
Race Reports and Pics
- “I didn’t study the course profile too much, because I wasn’t too concerned about 12K of climbing in 100 miles, but it turned out to be quite a bit more climbing and descending than I had pictured in my mind.” by Jacob @ What Finish Line?
- EB interview with male winner PoDog Vogler.
- EB interview with female winner Jenny Brod.
- More photos thanks to Lisa Vorwerk!
If you have any thoughts or experiences to share from the event, feel free to comment below!
Special thanks to the Pink Panther (Lisa Vorwerk) from the Arkansas Ultra Running Association, for all the groovy photos you see above.
Check out the TALON Race Guide
There are 157 regional trail/ultra races in the TALON Race Guide. Be sure to check it out if you are looking for the most complete list of events in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. New events are always being added.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
Posted on 05 Oct 2011
2 Responses to “Arkansas Traveller 100 – 2011 Results”