Jemez Trail Run 2011 50 km Race Experience Report – Video Style

After sorting through 240 photos and 83 video segements from last weekend’s Jemez 50 km adventure I decided to use some of this media goodness as my race report. So like most ultra race reports…this video is ultra long…hopeful it is also ultra cool. ๐Ÿ™‚

finishers award - local, handmade pottery

I ran this race with my buddy David Pearson, who was attempting his first ultra distance trail run. We agreed to stick with each other till the end.

My race goals:

• soak up this mountain race experience
  • get both of us to the finish line

This video captures many of the sights and some sounds from our entire 12 hour+ 50 km adventure.

Enjoy! (btw, the video segments are choppier than the original source…trying a few different things to improve it)

(If you can’t see the video, click here.)

Simply a great, great race!

Huge thanks to all the volunteers and organizers.

Sweet profiles on back of race shirt.

This was also my first ultra distance race since tweaking my knee back in Feb 2010. All smiles here! ๐Ÿ™‚

As part of my journey back to going long, I must give a significant amount of thanks to Rick Merriam who has used his biomechanics, muscle, and fasciaย expertise to address various functional imbalances in this love-to-run body. Thanks Rick!

Be active โ€“ Feel the buzz!

David โ€“ย EnduranceBuzz.com

14 Responses to “Jemez Trail Run 2011 50 km Race Experience Report – Video Style”

1. on 26 May 2011 at 8:23 pm zach in a cubicle

Very cool keep up the New Mexico love (we need it)

2. on 26 May 2011 at 9:02 pm Derek W

Great video as always, I feel like I ran the race with you guys!

3. on 26 May 2011 at 10:14 pm Lanny C

Awesome video David!! Loved every minute of it. Videos like this, and race reports, and pictures of these kind of events… that’s what I’m talking about. This stuff keeps me super motivated to get all ultra. I’m not there yet but I plan to be by October!!!

4. on 27 May 2011 at 8:43 am Jonathan

Great video, great scenery, and looks like an epic time! It is now added to my race calendar for next year. Motivational? Absolutely. Just gotta get through all my races in one piece to be in NM next May.

5. on 27 May 2011 at 8:56 am Jeff Linwood

Wow David! Congrats on your comeback ultra run and extra congrats to your friend David for finishing his first ultra on a very tough course! Looks like fantastic weather and a great race.

6. on 27 May 2011 at 9:47 am David Hanenburg

@Zach – Thanks man!
    @Derek – Thanks and cool to hear. Good luck with your Pumpkin Holler training!
    @Lanny – Thank you sir. Let’s talk whenever you are ready.
    @Jonathan – Thanks dude! Great, great event. Enjoy the journey.
    @Jeff – Everything about it was great. The weather cooperating made it extra special…could be extra interesting if the weather would get dramatic.

7. on 27 May 2011 at 11:26 am Chris

Woot, made the video (@5:40) ๐Ÿ™‚

It was good to see you out on the course. Congrats on your return and to David P for his first. This was my first ultra as well.

8. on 29 May 2011 at 3:19 pm David Hanenburg

Hey Chris – Huge congrats on knockin’ out your first ultra on a heck of a course. What a great day out there. You looked pretty relaxed coming down Caballo. Good luck in the rest of your adventures.

9. on 30 May 2011 at 2:09 pm Chris R.

Dave—congrats on a great race and appreciate all your efforts in promoting and covering TALON races. Thanks again.

10. on 30 May 2011 at 2:49 pm David Hanenburg

Hey Chris R. – So great to hear from you! Hard to believe Bandera is already approaching five months back. Thanks for the kind words on my Jemez adventure and my journey here on Endurance Buzz.

Keep rockin’ dude and look forward to sharing some trail time with you again soon!

11. on 31 May 2011 at 7:25 am Lynn B

Thanks for putting all the time and effort into producing quality media for these events! Nice work in capturing the course and the “first’!

Lynn B

12. on 31 May 2011 at 8:35 am David Hanenburg

Thanks so much Lynn! Thanks for adding fuel to my fire. ๐Ÿ™‚ Putting this video together felt a bit like an ultra adventure itself…had to stay present and focus photo-by-photo, video-by-video, and song-by-song. Consistent forward motion got it done…much like this Jemez adventure.

13. on 23 Jun 2011 at 8:12 pm Mike Shakal

David P.: Amazing job. You certainly shattered your envelope. What do you do now? When is the Badwater? David H.: You are amazing. Running that kind of distance in the mountains and having all the energy to take all the video and pictures, wow. Beautiful scenery.

14. on 24 Jun 2011 at 7:52 am David Hanenburg

Hey Mike – Thanks so much for visiting Endurance Buzz and sharing such kind commenting!

Dave P faced his “wall” and blew through it. This is just another remind that we all create “walls” in our lives, and yes we too can knock them down!

I was extremely grateful to have a body willing to go the distance. This was an experience I will not soon forget.