“A person can have some talent and some character and have the chance to succeed. But if he has some talent and no character, he will fail.” – Joe Newton
My wife and I recently watched The Long Green Line, a documentary on the 2005 cross country season at York under coach Newton. We both really dug it!
Mr. Newton can be a bit rough around the edges at times, but his passion and love for the sport and the young men is quite apparent. He has a multi-dimensional approach to coaching that uses sport as a conduit to develop and inspire personal excellence in all areas of life. Mr. Newton is not shy in demanding it from his athletes either.
Running – Life wisdom from Joe – Adversity – More Running
This was one of those cross country seasons when fact was just as drama-filled as fiction.
The film is well produced and has a smooth and engaging flow.
(If you can’t see the video, click here.)
There are a nice variety of ways to check it out.
- Free on Hulu – High quality but does include periodic short commercials.
- 7 day online rental – Watch immediately.
- Purchase digital download – Watch whenever – forever.
- Purchase DVD – Running Warehouse has the best price I found for new, plus receive Endurance Buzz discount at check-out.
The Long Green Line highlights and reminds us that every day is this rewarding opportunity to be our best in life.
A couple more life and running quotes from Mr. Newton:
- It’s nice to be great, but far greater to be nice.
- Your mind can make you train, your body can create power, but only your heart can make you a champion.
May we all find our own path in this life experience that creates as much passion and zest for life as we see in Mr. Newton, who is now in his early 80s.
Who else has watched it? What did you think of the film?
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
Posted on 15 Nov 2010
2 Responses to “The Long Green Line – Inspiration To Be Your Best”