TALON Ultramarathon Coaches For Trail and Road Running

Here are six possible reasons one may desire a running coach when playing in the ultra world:

1. Yoda Insight

50 km, 50 mile, 100 mile, multi-stage, night running, mountain, ultra nutrition, desert, jungle, trail, or road.

A coach that has experience/knowledge that matches your ultrarunning goals can accelerate your learning curve in the sport and help reduce the number of dark side moments.

2. The Rubber Mallet

Who wants to tell their coach they missed a bunch of workouts? A coach can provide a bit of extra motivation to help you get the work done and keep moving towards your goals.

3. Monkey See Monkey Do

What training am I doing this week? No worries, a coach will often have a daily/weekly plan that you can simply follow and provide feedback.

4. Tick Tock Goes The Clock

A coach can free up additional personal time so you don’t have to do as much research on training, nutrition, recovery, etc. Now you can get the lawn mowed, rooms painted, and house vacuumed. 😉

5. Cheer Team

Who doesn’t like a good old pat on the back every now and then. A coach can celebrate with you during your high moments and provide support/guidance during those low moments.

6. Spice

Same old same old? A coach can offer new training ideas that can make things fresh and exciting again. Whatever your goals, we want to have fun with the process. Consistency may just be the biggest ultra asset you can own and excitement in your training will almost always help you get the shoes laced and out the door.

TALON Coaches

If you are interested in a coach, here are a collection of trail and ultramarathon coaches from our own TALON (TX, AR, LA, OK, NM) region listed in alphabetical order.

If you are aware of any others throughout the region, please share and I will include in the article.

Amanda McIntosh

Amanda McIntosh is based out of the San Antonio, Texas area and offers both local and online services for trail runners of all levels and abilities.

Amanda has over 20 years of experience in the fields of Exercise Physiology and coaching athletes around the world.

Coaching website: http://www.amandamcintosh.com/

Lesley Jones

Lesley is based out of Texas and offers one-time consultations and online training program packages.

Lesley has both road and trail experience up through the 100km.

Coaching Website: http://racingitoff.com/

Liza Howard

Liza is currently based out of Texas and offers both online and in-person coaching through Sharman Ultra Endurance Coaching.

Liza has both road and trail experience through the 100 mile.

Coaching Website: http://www.lizahoward.com/coach/

Michael Schreiber

Michael Schreiber is based out of Texas and has a bit of an old-school website.

Michael offers free advice to any running questions you want to toss at him. He also offers personal training programs.

Michael has been a consultant and author involved in endurance training and running. He also competes in a range of running events from 5 km to 450 mile multi-day events.

Coaching website: http://www.training2run.com/index.html

Olga King

Olga is currently based out Texas and offers online coaching services.

Olga has ran a variety of both road and ultra distances including over 90 ultra.

Coaching Website: http://www.olgav100.com/coaching.html

Testimonials: http://runmoretalkless.blogspot.com/p/running-coaching.html

Rogue Training Systems

Rogue Training Systems is based in Austin, Texas and offers three local trail running group coaching options.

Rogue Training Systems doesn’t appear to offer any remote trail running coach services.

Coaching website: http://www.roguerunning.com/programs/2/Trail.html

RunnerOne – Tim Neckar

RunnerOne is created by Tim Neckar and based in Houston, Texas.  Tim offers both local and remote (email/telephone) coaching services.

Tim has a deep level of coaching and personal trail/road ultra running experience.

For remote athletes, you will get the same coaching services without the run-with-coach workout session…unless you want to take a trip into the city.

Coaching website: http://runnerone.com/

Sharp Coaching – John Sharp

Sharp Coaching is run by John Sharp who is based out of Texas.

Sharp Coaching offers consultation, remote coaching, running form analysis, personal coaching, and a weekend one-on-one knowledge sharing run.

John has running experience from 5km to 200 miles.

Coaching Website: http://www.sharpruncoaching.com/

Tejas Trails Coaching

Tejas Trails Coaching is based in the Austin, Texas area and offers local group and individual (local or remote) coaching options.

The Tejas Trails Coaching team has deep experience with a variety of local and national ultra trail/road running events. Check out coach Joe’s Bio for a taste.

Coaching website: http://www.tejastrails.com/TrailCoach.html

Trail Roots – Erik Stanley

Trail Roots is based out of Austin, Texas and offers local group, individual training, and organized destination running trips.

Erik has personal experience up to the 100km distance.

Coaching Website: http://www.trailroots.com/

If you have had any experience with any of the above coaches, feel free to share any thoughts in the comment link below.

And…if you are aware of any additional regional ultramarathon coaches, feel free to add them to the comment link as well.

11 Responses to “TALON Ultramarathon Coaches For Trail and Road Running”

1. on 16 Aug 2010 at 2:38 pm Jeff Linwood

I’ve trained with Joe Prusatis (when he was coaching with Rogue Running). His training programs are great because there’s a group aspect – if you sign up for a training class that’s all doing the same race like Bandera or Palo Duro, you’re guaranteed to have someone to run with and train with that’s your speed. Also Joe’s a very approachable guy.

2. on 19 Aug 2010 at 8:03 am David Hanenburg

Hey Jeff – Thanks for sharing your experience with Joe. My first encounter with Joe was at the Waco 50k trail run chatting when running a flat section or going up a hill. Going downhill, Joe left us in his dust. That guy can descend.

3. on 21 Aug 2010 at 9:14 am "pepe" lenck

HI there
    I started running in 2002 and had so many injuries it started to be very annoying. THe doctors talked about misalignment of my back, flat feet, blabla…I couldn’t run more than an hour straight. Then I found out about Mike Shreiber, aka “Mad Dog”. I ran my first 4Miler, then my first Half, then my first marathon, another, 8 of them, a 50K and even a fifty miler. Mad Dog is the “old style running” trainer. He’s got some tricks to get you there and is a nice, funny artist who loves nature and dogs. He brought me all the way to run 50 milers with no injury, and I rarely experienced the wall, except when I tried to see if he was wring and did something I was not advised to do.
    I would consider myself as a Hippie runner: no “gu” no special food, no high tech equipment: just the love of running and a good pace to start with.
    Mad Dog became a friend over the years and I catch myself waiting anxiously for his next schedule or his next answer to a question I asked.
    Mad dog mike also trains race winners and “marathon des sables” competitors. He’s knowledge of running is thorough so he can help you reach any goal, even running across England (one of our team did it a few years ago).
    Pepe

4. on 21 Aug 2010 at 10:31 am Matt Beardshall

About Mike Schreiber:
    I have been trained very successfully by Mike ‘Mad Dog’ for many years, and have never had any reason to go elsewhere. Has not only got me through every ultra event I have entered, but I have had success at the sharp end of the races, including several wins. What is more impressive is that by following his techniques I continue to improve despite now being several years into the ‘veterans’category. He is a real character – interesting and entertaining. Some of his techniques initially appeared a little ‘alternative’, but hey, ultrarunning is itself a little ‘alternative’, and the results speak for themselves. I would highly recommend Mike Schreiber to any runner.

5. on 21 Aug 2010 at 3:20 pm Conor

I’ve been training since Jan 2010 with Mike Schreiber – then I couldn’t run a mile without puffing, this month I will run my first 56 mile ultra, a mere 8 months of Mad Dog Mike training and I am raring to go, injury free and regularly running 50+ mile weeks. THe program is focused and smart, and Mike provides the mental coaching to go with it too.
    Fantastic

6. on 22 Aug 2010 at 1:42 pm Tom Jenkinson

Mike Schreiber seems to already have his fans so I wont have to add much. Don’t be put off by the “old-school website” just like his advice it is no nonsense. And whether you are based in Texas or like me 50 degrees North in Sweden I promise that he can make you a better runner and you’ll probably even enjoy it! Highly recommended.

7. on 23 Aug 2010 at 3:11 am Mal Gibb

I’m a firm advocate of Mad Dog’s training methods. I spend far too long riding a desk at work however Mike’s got me fit enough (mentally and physically) to enjoy some marvellous adventures. At the start it felt a bit strange having a Personal Trainer over the internet however it only took a couple of weeks to get through this as I realised Mike’s methods work really well. Not only the physical side but mentally too. Get in in your head you can do it and you can. I find his style works really well (a well structured plan… in a laid back way) and we’ve had a fair few laughs on the way through too.

People look at me strangely when I say I’m training with the Mad Dog. They assume I’m regularly being beaten and destroying myself. Not the case at all. Mad Dog’s methods are eminently sensible and do indeed lead to painfree running. “Eminently Sensible” Dog doesn’t have the same ring to it though.

8. on 23 Aug 2010 at 3:25 am dom

‘mad dog’ mike schreiber has guided me step by step on my route to my first marathon. he has nurtured and pushed me beyond the limits of what i though i could achieve without boredom or injury. he is always there with answeres/guidence to what ever questions you thow at him – however bizaar or crazy they seem. he is the ‘guru’

9. on 25 Aug 2010 at 1:13 pm David Hanenburg

“Pepe”, Matt, Conor, Tom, Mal, Dom – Thanks for sharing your experience with coach Schreiber. Definitely sounds like you have had a good experience. Great to hear.

10. on 05 Sep 2010 at 7:39 pm Paty Cebrian

Es increible como Mike “Mad Dog” hace sentir que entrenar y lograr el propósito de cada quien es fácil y alcanzable… Hace sentir que uno puede lograr lo que sea, y con su entrenamiento ¡uno lo conseigue! Está al pendiente de tí en cada momento, siempre dispuesto a motivarte y orientarte…
    ¡yo lo recomiendo ampliamente!!
    gracias Mike por ser tan buen entrenador
    😀

11. on 05 Sep 2010 at 7:55 pm David Hanenburg

Thanks Paty for the feedback on Michael Shreiber.

Here is a rough idea of Paty’s comment with the help of Google translate.

It is amazing how Mike “Mad Dog” feel to train and achieve the purpose of each one is easy and achievable … It feels that one can accomplish anything, and his training as a conseigue! You are on the lookout for you at all times, always ready to motivate and guide you …
    I highly recommend it!
    Mike thanks for being a good coach