Healthy – Nutritious – Tasty – Easy to Make – Contains Green Stuff
All this in a meal not often associated with the above descriptive words and phrases – Lasagna
We have been making this tasty little Lasagna dish for more years than I can remember and it still remains a family favorite and great for leftovers or company.
What’s in it?
We are fans of using the cleanest ingredients possible or within reason. This may include organic, local (from a trusted source), or from your backyard. (Five Ways to Reduce Your Fruit and Vegetable Pesticide Exposure)
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 – 26oz. jars low fat marinara/pasta sauce
- 1 – 16 oz. carton cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup (1-oz.) pre-shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 T dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 – 10 oz. package frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 cooked lasagna noodles
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add turkey and garlic to skillet and cook until meat is browned.
- Add 5 3/4 cups marinara sauce, cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Combine cottage cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper, and spinach. Stir well.
- Spread remaining marinara sauce in bottom of 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange four noodles over marinara, top with cottage cheese mixture, and half the mozzarella.
- Spoon half of the turkey mixture over the mozzarella.
- Arrange remaining noodles over turkey mixture.
- Top with remaining turkey mixture and mozzarella.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes, or until cheese melts and sauce is bubbly.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Bam – Enjoy!
We will also include some cooked vegetables, occasionally garlic bread, or of some sort or a fresh, crisp salad. Some friends brought over an amazing Greek salad. Wow, a great combination.
For those that have gluten sensitives, you can use rice noodles. Tinkyada is a brand we have used when making for friends that have gluten issues. Of course, you have to make sure your other ingredients are clean as well.
mmmm..this is making me hungry.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
Posted on 31 Mar 2010