[Disclosure: A few moths ago I received a Clif Bar package from the marketing firm Double Forte which contained a sampling of various Clif Bar products. With that being said, the comments and opinions below are purely my own.]
Clif Bar & Company – 5 Aspirations
- Sustaining our Planet
- Sustaining our Community
- Sustaining our People
- Sustaining our Business
- Sustaining our Brands
If you haven’t noticed, Clif Bar has greatly increased their endurance fuel portfolio that provide many more options beyond the original flagship product – the Clif Bar.
Before we get into some of these new products, who is Clif anyways?
Clif Bar is Born
After a 175 mile bike ride in 1990, Gary Erickson (owner and founder) was awakened to the idea that he could make a better energy bar than the one he had been knawing on during his epic ride. After two years of testing in his mother’s kitchen, his endurance sports energy bar was born. In honor of his father, Clifford, it was called the Clif Bar.
Beyond the Products
Beyond the portfolio of endurance sports fuels, Clif Bar is involved in things beyond Clif Bar which I think is cool and needed within our society. I wasn’t even aware of most of this.
Here are a few of the impressive projects the company is involved with:
- Offset Carbon-Dioxide Emissions into the Atmosphere: When a Cool Tag is purchased Clif Bar invests $2 in NativeEnergy’s Windbuilder’s program. This money helps build the St. Francis Wind Farm in South Dakota thus delivering deliver clean, renewable energy to the grid. Each Cool Tag is estimated to keep 300 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the air. What is 300 pounds of CO2? That’s about how much you would generate driving 300 miles in an average car. To read more or purchase a Cool Tag check out – Clif Bar – Cool Tag.
- Clif Bar GreenNotes Project: GreenNotes supports emerging musicians – passionate about the environment in their own right – who may not yet have the resources, expertise, or funds to integrate environmentally friendly touring practices. A compilation album was also created that contains songs from 20 artists who proceeds (100%) go to organizations that are actively support the natural places we love to play in.
- Clif 2 Mile Challenge: In the U.S., 40% of all urban travel happens within 2 miles of where people live. A personal challenge to once a week, bike that less than two mile trip. Get some exercise, fresh air, and reduce CO2 emissions.
- 1% to the Planet partner: 1% of sales are given to environmental organizations working to protect the planet.
- Energy Wrapper Brigade: To reduce the wrapper waste Clif Bar along with TerraCycle provides an absolutely free method for you to save/collect the wrappers and also earn money for a charity or school for every inner-foil wrapper collected. I had no idea there was such a thing.
- Clif Bar Family Foundation: Our mission is to support nonprofits — grassroots organizations in particular — working to promote environmental restoration and conservation, sustainable food and agriculture, people’s health, and a wide range of social concerns.
New-er Clif Endurance Sports Fuels
A few things I like about Clif products:
- 70% of all ingredients purchased are organic.
- No artificial colors.
- Created from ingredients that are not genetically engineered.
Most everyone knows about the Clif Bar, here are a few items you may not be aware of:
- Clif Shot Bloks – The Bloks are square bite-sized carbohydrate/electrolyte chews. The texture is like a soft gummy bear and the flavor-zing is fairly mild. Some of the flavors also contain caffeine for those that desire that extra kick. Each tube-like package contains 200 calories worth of fuel.
- Clif Shot Roks – The Roks are round bite-sized protein bites. The Roks are similar to a Clif Builder’s Bar but in bite-size portions. They also contain a natural covering so they won’t melt in your hand. Not only for recovery, I could see these being useful for those that like to add a bit of protein during their long course racing/training. Each package contains 270 calories and 20 grams of protein.
- Clif Quench – A bottled liquid carbohydrate/electrolyte drink that contains 88% organic ingredients (sugar/carbohydrate source). No artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners. The bottles are also made from 40% recycled plastic. Each 16 oz. bottle contains 90 calories. The flavors are very mild tasting with a slippery texture (if there is such a thing) which I assume is from the electrolytes.
- Clif Kid Organic Twisted Fruit Rope – These are licorice-type sticks made from actual fruit. When my three year old son ate one, he said, “That was a delicious treat!”. I had to chuckle. Each Fruit Rope is 70 calories.
Clif has never made a product that I have tasted that didn’t taste great. All of the above new products are as tasty as can be. My son was the tester of the Fruit Rope but I sense a good review.
I am not a big fan of bottled carbohydrate/electrolyte drinks due to the significant packaging (bottle) and prefer powder products I mix with water and place into a reusable bottle. But with respect to bottled sports drinks, I am not aware of anything cleaner than the Clif Quench in this specific market.
Although the Clif products have high quality ingredients, various forms of sugar are a significant percentage of the calories so I would recommend eating whole food (fruits, seeds, nuts, etc) during your non-activity snacking hours and save the convenient endurance sports fuels for around those times you are working those muscles.
And always, try out in training before race day because each one of us has a unique stomach and fuel-type preferences (liquids, solids, etc.).
I have started to see the Clif Quench at grocery stores and many of the other Clif products can be found at your preferred endurance sports store.
Running Warehouse also has the Bloks, Roks, Shots(Gel), and Bar, which are available at solid pricing and will include an Endurance Buzz visitor discount inside your shopping cart. Simply click on the RW link to take a look. Purchasing through Running Warehouse will also help support the growth of this site.
Do You Want a Taste?
For those still paying attention, I have two Clif Bar gifts packs available for – you! To enter into the drawing, simply include a comment (valid email address) mentioning your latest running adventure. Then Friday morning, I will announce the winners and contact them by e-mail.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
Posted on 23 Mar 2010
11 Responses to “Clif Bar – More Than Just An Endurance Sports Energy Bar Company”