Rocky Raccoon 100 News: 2010 Race Near Capacity

trail-running-newsThree weeks out from the Rocky Raccoon 100 mile trail run down in Huntsville State park, and the race is approaching capacity. So if you are interested in signing up for the 100 or 50 mile race, now is the time.

How many are currently signed up (as of Jan. 16)?

100 mile: 343 (44% increase over last year)

50 mile: 277 (40% increase over last year)

Total: 620 (as of Jan. 16)

Total entrant capacity per the park officials is 750.

To help get it done:

Other Observations

While looking at the entrants list, it is an international event.

Athletes are coming into Huntsville State park from:

• All over the US
  • Germany
  • Canada
  • Sweden
  • Mexico
  • Guatemala
  • Great Britain

I am fascinated by this a bit. The little sport (although growing) of ultra trail running draws in runners from around the world. This is cool, what else can I say.

Also, I noticed (by simply scanning the entrants list) that the 100 mile event has a majority of the athletes from outside of Texas whereas the 50 mile event has a majority of in-house Texas athletes.

Anyway, I am already starting to get pumped up for this race. Now I need to make sure I can still run as I haven’t ran a single step since Bandera.

Anyone else out there starting to get fired up about Rocky?

8 Responses to “Rocky Raccoon 100 News: 2010 Race Near Capacity”

1. on 19 Jan 2010 at 12:31 pm Jeff

I’ll be there pacing for 40 miles and crewing! My gf is running the 100 miler. Hopefully it doesn’t rain too much between now and the race.

2. on 19 Jan 2010 at 7:53 pm David Hanenburg

Hey Jeff – Awesome! Maybe see ya out on the trail.

3. on 19 Jan 2010 at 10:51 pm Derek

Getting fired up and extremely nervous. I’ve never run a race that I wasn’t absolutely positive I would finish. The 100 miles is a little different. Time to get mentally prepared!

4. on 20 Jan 2010 at 8:57 am David Hanenburg

Derek – You have really put in a great training block of running this fall/winter. A bit of nervousness can be a good thing and most all of us go through it. That “energy” can be used for your final preparations both physically and mentally. Yes 100 miles is no guarantee but that may just be why we do it. 🙂

5. on 24 Jan 2010 at 12:32 pm Mark

I’ll be out there pacing Derek for the last 40 and will be sure to say hello. I can’t believe how much this race has grown in the last few years.

6. on 24 Jan 2010 at 1:17 pm David Hanenburg

Hey Mark – It will be great to see ya on the trails. Current number of entrants – 665! There are 358 in the 100 mile. (as of Jan 24) This is going to be fun. 🙂

7. on 07 Feb 2010 at 1:42 pm Jeff B.

Hope you had a great time. Know where I can find results? I have a couple of friends down there and really want to know how they did.

8. on 07 Feb 2010 at 9:55 pm David Hanenburg

Hey Jeff – Results will be posted on http://www.tejastrails.com/Rocky.html . Typically it has taken a few days for results to be posted. There are no real-time results for this race.