One of our family recipes during the cooler winter months is Potato Kale soup. This tasty soup provides a great way to enjoy (yes, enjoy) the nutritionally packed leafy endurance superfood, Kale.
What is Kale?
Kale is a leafy dark green vegetable that belongs in the same family as cabbage, collards, and Brussels sprouts which are known to have powerful health benefits but not all that tasty for most of us.
Raw Kale leaves are tougher, dense leaf stalk, and have a stronger taste then a romaine lettuce leaf.
When purchased in the grocery store individual Kale leaves are bundled together in a bunch.
Kale is loaded with a wide array of vitamins, minerals, and even protein.
A few of the significant nutritional highlights include:
- vitamin C – immune support
- vitamin A – lung health
- vitamin K
- vitamin E – mental function
- manganese – energy production
- 2.5 grams protein per one cup (chopped)
- Strongly Anti-inflammatory
Check out the full array of currently known nutritional components at Nutrition Data (1 cup chopped).
Here are a couple articles noting the superfood benefits of Kale:
Unfortunately Kale is one of the 12 worst fruits and vegetables with respect to pesticide exposure. For overall health, grow it yourself or buy organic. For a periodic buy, spend the extra buck.
Potato Kale Soup Recipe
We have talked enough about the benefits of Kale, here is the recipe my entire family enjoys. It is a very smooth and warming soup that we enjoy with cornbread during the winter months.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 entire bunch of Kale, wash and cut into smaller portions
- 1 teaspoons dried basil
- shredded Gruyere or mozzarella cheese
- Melt butter in large pot (we use a large spaghetti pot) over medium heat until melted.
- Add garlic, cook 30 secs stirring.
- Stir in broth and cubed potatoes, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Once potatoes have softened, add Kale and basil. Cover and simmer for 10 mins or so.
- Remove from heat.
- With soup ladle, place 2-4 scoops into blender. Mix until smooth.
- Pour blended soup into a separate large bowl/pot.
- Repeat with rest of soup until completed blended.
- Stir pot of newly blended soup and serve in individual bowls.
- Place a desired amount of shredded cheese on top for garnish.
- optional: Add one tablespoon of olive oil in the individual bowls as well for a healthy fat.
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
(Kale Photo: Courtesy of JWilsher)
Posted on 15 Dec 2009
2 Responses to “Potato Kale Soup”