First 8 Hour Ultramarathon This Weekend – Any Advice?

running-dizzyRun 50km or 50 miles. I get that.

Run eight hours around a half mile loop through a botanical garden – I don’t fully understand but am willing to learn. Lucky me, class starts Saturday.

This weekend I will be running at the 8 hour Run For The Ducks Ultra-Marathon and the course is a half mile loop through the Clark Botanical Gardens in Weatherford Texas.

What is it like to go round and round and round and round and round and round and round…?

Are any athletes admitted into an asylum by the end of the event? Do you get dizzy?

Anyone want to share some advice on completing such an event? I would love to hear some of your strategies.

7 Responses to “First 8 Hour Ultramarathon This Weekend – Any Advice?”

1. on 24 Sep 2009 at 7:59 am Porta-pot bob

I think you’d need to do some training at six flags on the swing carousel, and just get acclimated to going around and around and around and around and around and around……

2. on 24 Sep 2009 at 8:38 am David Hanenburg

Didn’t they go bankrupt?

3. on 24 Sep 2009 at 8:50 am Blaine Moore

I’ve never done a timed ultra like that, but will certainly put one on my schedule in the not too distant future. A friend of mine runs a few every year, usually tied to some sort of fundraiser.

He tries to get people to donate per lap he finishes before the cut off, so that he’ll have the motivation to keep going because he knows that every lap is an extra $x towards his charity (Camp Sunshine)

4. on 24 Sep 2009 at 9:58 am David P

Will you run with music? Maybe an audio book?

Wendy and Griffin going?

I can see it now…”Yay, there’s Dad!….Yay, there’s Dad!…Yay there’s…..”

5. on 24 Sep 2009 at 3:48 pm David Hanenburg

Blaine – I like charity run idea. Don’t have time to do it this year but may next year if I give another event like this a go.

David – No music, no electronics. I think there will be plenty of banter actually. This definitely won’t be a nose to the grind, tunnel vision type of event…unless I start bonking but then I am less than a 1/2 mile from the aid station and my chair. Yes chair!

6. on 25 Sep 2009 at 11:17 am Jim Sproul

There is so much going on in and around the gardens you forget it is a loop. Well, okay maybe you forget it is a loop for the first 4 hours!

See you there

7. on 25 Sep 2009 at 11:24 am David Hanenburg

Thanks Jim! I actually am pretty excited and looking forward to the experience.

I will bring the ginger. 😉