Once every year or two I encounter that tightness in one of my…well how should I say this…butt cheek’s. It is that darn piriformis muscle acting up again. Rarely has this stopped me from running especially if I address the issue early on.
Here are nine different methods I have used when my piriformis tightens up.
- Tennis ball massage – Lay on top of the tennis ball and allow it to put deep tissue pressure in the tender area by using your body weight. This can be a bit uncomfortable but I try to relax my body as much as I can with a few deep breaths.
- Foam Roller – Really trying to massage the piriformis area (yes, your butt) daily.
- Piriformis Stretch – 2-4 times per day.
- Outward leg lifts – While laying on your side, raise top leg 1-2 ft for 20-30 reps (for 2 sets). Then repeat for other leg.
- Running form focus – Sometimes my legs start to get lazy and the inside of my knees will rub periodically. I pay attention to my form and make sure my legs remain in alignment (not drooping inwards).
- Chiropractor – A good crack to make sure the core of my body is in proper alignment.
- Professional massage – An hour of deep tissue work has produced some amazing results.
- Reduce mileage and focus on the above seven items.
- Stop Running – If I am in continual discomfort while running, I will stop running for a couple days and really work on the above items.
How have you handled this pain in the butt issue?
Be active – Feel the buzz!
David – EnduranceBuzz.com
Posted on 12 Aug 2009