Running Warehouse banner

Trail Running Course

Feeling Better and Sort-of-Singing While I Run

Ponder Pic

This week consisted of another increase in volume with minimal speed work. I did add some strides during my run on Sunday which felt good again. My weekly treadmill runs were setup for random mode, so that added a bit of variety.

I still have some sensations in my left knee but I feel it is gradually getting better. I added three weights/core session this week which I hope will add to general stability and improve any muscle imbalances. I also including evening icing, step-downs, and quarter squats which were all recommended in my Running Inury-Free book.

Over the weekend I wanted to get back onto a nearby trail and since it had been a couple days since we had rain, I thought the trail would be in good shape. At the trail-head, I saw something I don’t see while running the streets and it scared this city boy a bit.

Nice Kitty Paw Print Pic

Was I about to be lunch for some big cat at 7 am. Not kitty, some big old cat with big teeth I am sure, whose territory I was probably invading. Where are the horses, where are the people? What kind of cat was this? I had no idea, but I had to think of a plan. They must eat before 7 am I hoped. I decided to make plenty of noise while I ran which consisted of sort-of singing and goofy babble.

Unfortunately or fortunately after about 800 m, each shoe weighed about 5 pounds after slowly picking up a little bit of clay with each stride. There was no way I was going to be able to run 10 miles in these conditions plus how could I outrun a cat with clay bricks on my feet so turn around I did.

I ended up driving to a local park to finish the run in a mostly controlled environment. I did have a couple bikes fly by me on the sidewalk but that was the only drama experienced. Here ends the excitement for the week.

Going forward I will try and include more bike work after shorter runs to hopefully create an additional fitness boost. We will see if I notice anything over the coming weeks.

The Weekly Low-Down:

run: 27.92 miles (5 sessions: 4, 4, 4, 8.90, 7.02)

bike:60 mins

weights/core: 3

Happy Training!

About the author

David Hanenburg David Hanenburg is the passionate dirt-lovin' creator of Endurance Buzz and has been playing in the endurance sports world since 2000 after knockin' the dust off of his Trek 950 hardtail thanks to a friend asking to go ride some local dirt. In 2007 he ran his first ultra on the trails and fell in love with the sport and its people. For more information on David's endurance sports journey, check out the About page.

2 Responses to “Feeling Better and Sort-of-Singing While I Run”

  1. on 24 Sep 2008 at 4:44 pm matt

    Where are you located?

    I have also had a run-in with a wild cat. While I’m not sure the cat print you saw was actually a big cat, I’m sure they exist, and from personal experience, I’d much rather run along the beach than through the woods, that’s for sure!

    I had one jump down in front of me while I was loading my friends truck with boxes from a house I was moving out of.

    It was late at night, and my house was is situated near some very large boulders, and the top of them are out of normal sight, even when the porch light is on.

    At first, I heard a noise in one of the trees that are up there, but I didn’t think anything of it. When I came out the front door with another box, I turned to hear another noise coming from the tree, and this time I caught a faint glimpse of the cat jumping from the tree, to the top boulder, and then down in front of me. The total area he jumped was well over 30 feet.

    When he landed, he took the brunt of the fall in one fell swoop, and stayed stationary where he landed, with his shoulders poking up behind his head. He stayed crouched down, and gave me perfect and ample time to loose all the breath I had in my lungs.

    For some reason, I quickly scanned the ground for something to throw at him, and saw nothing but pea-gravel, so in a flash, I grabbed a handful and threw it at him while shouting a breathless yell, “Get outta here!”

    He flinched and then looked at me as if to say, “What are you doing?” I thought, “CRAP, I’m dead MEAT now!”

    Then, slowly he skulked away, still staying crouched down, into the darkness.

    The driveway was paved black, so the light from the patio doesn’t reflect well, and in the dark, he disappeared. I then walked backwards from there into my house.

    My best friend was inside, laying on the couch, and when I slammed the door, he asked, “What did you say?”

    I told him about what had just happened, and he jumped up and said, “Let’s go see him!” I was like, “Uh, no, let’s not and say we did… He’s OUT THERE!”

    My friend Scott went outside anyway, and so did I, getting into his truck, rolling windows up as fast as I could. Sure enough, there he was, behind a boulder that lined the driveway.

    My advise to you – don’t run through the woods unless you have a whistle. I don’t have to tell you that owning a hand-gun is another useful tool, but you can get out of alot by using anything that makes alot of noise.

    Also, tell your local wild-life officials what you saw. They actually will relocate animals or kill a big cat, as they did in my case.

    Sometimes relocating a mountain lion means they will die anyway, when they enter the territory of a bear or of another mountain lion.

    Either way, you educate the people that need to know and it keeps other people educated about what to do if another case arises.

  2. on 30 Sep 2008 at 5:53 pm David Hanenburg

    I am in Texas.

    You had quite the experience. Thanks for the insight.