“Oh, this is good!” – The first words that came out of Wendy’s mouth after she took her first bite of our experimental sandwich.
On Tuesday we decided to experiment a bit and make a veggie sandwich that I had seen at my work’s cafeteria. It is basically sauteed vegetables, some mozzarella cheese, basil pesto, and some flat bread. The sandwich was then George Foreman’d for a couple minutes to melt the cheese and warm the bread. It kind of brought the whole sandwich together, literally.
I didn’t think it would be too hard to replicate, so we gave it a try.
Here is our ingredient list:
- olive oil
- green pepper
- Naan bread or flat-bread choice
- mozzarella cheese
- basil pesto
- saute the vegetables in olive oil and some garlic (season the veggies a little bit if you like)
- place desired amount of sauteed vegetables on a piece of Naan bread (or choice of flat-bread)
- add desired amount of mozzarella cheese
- spread desired amount of basil pesto on a second piece of Naan bread (or choice of flat-bread) and place on top of the veggies and cheese
- cook for couple minutes in George Foreman-type grill
- remove and enjoy!
Wendy and I have had this twice already this week! The second time we just steamed the vegetables, placed the veggies in a bowl, and added a bit of olive oil plus seasonings. Streaming probably got the veggies ready a bit quicker versus sauteing and used less oil.
Naan, Veggies, and Cheese
The magic basil pesto spread.
Sir George helping bring it all together!
The veggie goodness – ready for consumption.
What are some of your favorite quick and healthy recipes?